Town and Country Planning

Planning permission is needed not only for the carrying out of building, mining, engineering and other operations in, on, under, or over land, but also for any material change of use of land. It is essential for the owners of a business to know when planning permission is required and perhaps more importantly how to go about obtaining it.  We have acted for applicants, third party objectors and local planning authorities. Typically this will involve:

  • Advising on, and negotiating conditions to be attached to a planning permission.
  • Drafting and negotiating planning and infrastructure agreements.
  • Undertaking planning appeals and inquiries.
  • Advising on road closure, tree preservation and compulsory purchase proposals and orders.
  • Considering and if necessary challenging the validity of the enforcement of planning controls.

Examples of work carried out

John Beckett, our head of property and planning, has acted in a number of significant planning matters; some examples of these are as follows:

1 Retained be a major high street bank in connection with the funding of a large out of town retail scheme that involved the construction of a Premier League football ground as part of the ‘planning gain’ associated with the development.

“Site assembly, obtaining planning permission, dealing with highway, planning and infrastructure agreements.”

2 Acted in connection with the development of a number of care homes that involved listed building, planning and highway issues.

3 Advising on the development of a number of shopping centres from an initial idea to the ultimate sale of the completed investment.  This involved site assembly, obtaining planning permission dealing with highway, planning and infrastructure agreements as well as road closure and compulsory purchase issues, the letting of the various units and finally the sale to a pension fund.